Sam's Moi Luau
- 2 pounds calamari or octopus
- 3 pounds Luau leaves
- 1 tablespoon Hawaiian salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 cup cooked and diced taro
- 3/4 cup cooked and diced sweet potato
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Crispy Moi, recipe follows
- Crispy Moi:
- 4 (3/4 to 1 pound) farm-raised moi
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
Clean calamari and slice in rings, then set aside.
Wash luau leaves, remove stems and thick veins. In a pot, boil cups water with the Hawaiian salt and baking soda. Add the leaves to the boiling water and reduce heat. Simmer, partially covered for 1 hour. Drain and squeeze out liquid.
Top with Crispy Moi.Crispy Moi:
Clean and score fish. Dust fish with cornstarch and set aside. Heat oil for shallow frying in a wok or large skillet. Fry fish about 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, until crisp and golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper. Transfer to a warm serving platter.
Recipe courtesy Sam Choy