Andouille Sausage Creole
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
Combine oil and flour in a Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture is golden colored about 10 to 15 minutes. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, celery and green onions. Cook, stirring often, 10 minutes or more until vegetables are tender.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, seasoning salt, bay leaves, 1 cup of water, hot sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and sausage. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaves. Garnish with parsley and serve over grits, if desired.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.