Beef Stew with Beer Biscuits
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch thick rounds
- 4 red potatoes, chopped into large dice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 (1-pound) chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can less sodium beef broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Beer Biscuits, recipe follows
- Beer Biscuits:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose baking mix, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup beer
- All-Purpose Baking Mix:
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
In a 6-quart slow cooker combine the celery, carrots, potatoes, onions, thyme and beef. In a large bowl, stir together all the remaining ingredients and pour over the beef and vegetables in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with Beer Biscuits.Beer Biscuits:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients with a whisk until just combined. Using 2 spoons divide dough into 4 even mounds and put on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.All-Purpose Baking Mix:
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry knife or fork until the mixture is well blended. Use in recipes that call for Bisquick or all-purpose mix.
Use the leftovers from this recipe to make Shepherd's Pie.
Yield: 7 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.