Black Bean Burgers
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 hamburger rolls
- Optional Toppings:
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 small Romaine lettuce leaves, or any other type you have on hand
- 1/4 cup ketchup
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-low heat.
In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic until finely chopped. Add 1 can black beans, cilantro, parsley, egg, and red pepper flakes and pulse to combine.
Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the remaining can of black beans and the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix until well combined.
Reserve 1/3 of the black bean mixture for Round 2 Recipe. Divide remaining mixture into 4 portions and form into patties. Place on hot oiled grill over medium-low heat and cook about 6 minutes a side or until heated through. Toast hamburger buns on a grill. Place a burger on the bottom of each bun. Top with lettuce, tomato and ketchup. Cover the burgers with the top of the bun and serve.
Use the leftovers from this recipe in Black Bean Enchiladas.
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee