Butternut Squash Risotto
- 1 (48-ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces frozen chopped white onions
- 1 (10-ounce) box sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14-ounce box) packaged risotto mix
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch-thick
- 1 1/2 ounces grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- Special equipment: 6 Champagne glasses
In a small saucepan, heat chicken broth until just simmering. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Saute onions and mushrooms until soft. Slowly add white wine while continuing to stir. Add package of risotto and allow to simmer about 10 minutes or until risotto is al dente.
Add butternut squash to skillet. Slowly ladle heated chicken broth into risotto skillet, stirring in between ladles and allowing to reduce down before the next addition. Continue until all chicken broth is added. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in Parmesan, butter and salt and pepper, to taste.
Coat inside of Champagne glasses with nonstick spray. Fill with squash risotto, pack in tightly and level off top. Allow to cool. Turn glass upside down onto serving dish and carefully remove glass. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee