Chicken Burritos with Pineapple Salsa
- 1 (3.5 to 4-pound) chicken
- 1 medium yellow onion, 1 peeled
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 8 flour tortillas (reserve 2 for round 2 recipe Tortilla Pizza and 2 for Tortilla Soup)
- 1 can red or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
In a large pot, put the chicken, 1 whole onion, and large pinch of salt and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour.
While the chicken is cooking, make the salsa by mixing together the diced red onion, pineapple chunks, jalapeno, cilantro, chili powder, lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Remove the chicken and allow it to cool. Strain the cooking liquid and reserve it and the onion for the round 2 recipe, tortilla soup. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat, discarding the bones and skin. Save 1 cup of meat for the tortilla soup.
Wrap the tortilla in a damp towel and microwave for 45 second or until warm and pliable. Heat the beans in a small pot over low heat.
Lay out one tortilla onto a flat surface. Place 1/4 of the chicken, into the middle of the burrito. Top with 1/4 cup of cheese, 1/4 of the beans and 2 tablespoons of the salsa. Fold the bottom of the tortilla up over the filling then fold the sides in and roll up from the bottom. Repeat with remaining ingredients and garnish with remaining salsa.
Recipe Courtesy of Sandra Lee
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri