- 1 (4 to 5-pound) whole chicken, cut into parts
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
Reserve the legs, thighs, and wings of the chicken for the round 2 recipe Italian Fried Chicken.
Remove the bones and skin from the breasts and slice, in half, lengthwise. Pound the 4 pieces between sheets of plastic wrap to flatten them, about 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Coat the chicken with the flour, shaking off any excess.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and butter. Mix together and when the butter has melted add the chicken, working in batches, until they are golden brown, about 4 to 6 minutes per side. Remove the chicken, to a serving platter, cover and keep warm. Add the chicken broth to the pan and cook it over high heat until it reduces by half and thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, parsley and basil. Taste, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed. Pour the sauce over the cooked chicken serve with the Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Risotto.
Use the leftovers from this recipe to make Italian Fried Chicken.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.