Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup very finely ground almonds
- 1 (16-ounce) container dark chocolate frosting
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 48 chocolate kiss candies (recommended: Hershey's)
Pulse almonds in a food processor until very finely ground, like coarse sand. Pour ground almonds into a pie pan or other shallow bowl and set aside. Beat chocolate frosting and butter in large bowl with a hand mixer until well blended. Stir in graham cracker crumbs and almond extract. Shape chocolate mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in almonds to coat. Place balls on a cookie sheet. Using your finger, make a deep indentation in the center of each ball. Fill the indentations with chocolate kiss candies. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until cold.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Desserts, Miramax Books, 2003.