Dough and Filling:
- 2/3 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
- All-purpose flour, for dusting surface
- 1 loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed overnight in refrigerator
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the dough and filling: Lightly butter two 8-inch round baking pans.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 15- by 7-inch rectangle. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Spread the softened butter over the dough. Sprinkle the dough evenly with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Starting at the long edge, roll up the dough as for a jelly roll. Pinch the seam to seal. Cut the rolled dough into 16 slices and divide the slices between the prepared baking pans. Set aside in a warm place and allow the dough to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake until golden on top, about 15 minutes. Promptly invert the baking pan over a wire rack and lift the pan from the buns. Scoop any filling that has remained in the pans over the buns. Allow the buns to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.