Countdown #10 Stove Top Candied Sweet Potatoes with Crunchy Topping
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter plus 2 tablespoons melted
- 1 generous pinch pumpkin pie spice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups corn cereal (recommended: Corn Flakes)
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot. Add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Add a generous pint of salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the potatoes are slightly soft but still hold their shape, 10 to 12 minutes. Strain and place back in the pot.
Combine the chicken broth and brown sugar in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons of butter, pumpkin pie spice, a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Add the cooked sweet potatoes and gently toss to coat. Cook until the liquid has reduced down and is a syrupy consistency and the sweet potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes, making sure to stir every minute.
Top the sweet potatoes with an even layer of marshmallows and let cook for 3 minutes to allow them to melt a bit. Top with the crunchy topping. Reduce heat to low and cook until marshmallows are completely melted, about 2 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.