Cuban Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (4-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped, divided
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup olives stuffed with pimentos, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the pot, and brown in batches on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a plate. To the pot, add half the onions and half the green peppers (reserve remaining half for the online Round 2 Recipe Black Bean and Pork Stew). Cook until softened, about 3 minutes, and then add the garlic and chile powder and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the rice and let it toast for 2 minutes. Add 4 cups water, tomato sauce, and olives and give it a stir. Put the chicken back into the pot. Bring it to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes. (Reserve 2 cups rice for Round 2 Recipe Rice Cakes with Creamy Cilantro Sauce.) Serve garnished with cilantro.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.