Fried Okra with Tomatoes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen okra, thawed
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (recommended: Ro'tel)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl combine buttermilk and okra and let sit for 5 minutes
In a large cast iron skillet, heat peanut oil over high heat to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl add the corn muffin mix. Using a slotted spoon remove the okra from the buttermilk and place it into the bowl with the corn muffin mix. Gently toss making sure all okra is well coated.
Carefully add half the breaded okra to skillet and fry for about 6 minutes, or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove okra to the paper towel lined plate. Fry remaining okra.
While okra is frying, in a large saucepan, combine diced tomatoes and chiles, tomato paste and Creole seasoning. Heat through over medium heat. Stir in heavy cream, season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Remove to plate and top with fried okra. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.