Grandma Lorraine's Apple Angel Food Cake
- 5 Courtland apples, peeled cored and thinly sliced
- 1 (12-ounce) can citrus soda
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup apple brandy
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 (10-inch) store-bought angel food cake
Place apples in large bowl with 1 can soda and 1 1/2 cups water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
In a large skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt. Stir until sugar has dissolved and starts to simmer. Add apple brandy, pecans, raisins and apples. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until apples are tender and liquid has reduced to a syrupy consistency.
Slice angle food cake into wedges and top each slice with apple mixture.