Meaty Stuffed Pizza
- 2 (6.5-ounce) packages pizza crust mix (recommended: Betty Crocker)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (recommended: McCormick's)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 (2.5-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained (recommended: Green Giant)
- 1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced black olives, drained (recommended: Early California)
- 2 1/2 cups marinara sauce, divided (recommended: Prego)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (recommended: Kraft)
DirectionsFor the Dough: For the Filling:
For the dough:
For the filling:
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add the oil and cook ground beef and sausage, stirring frequently to break up clumps. Cook until no longer pink but not totally cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mushrooms, olives, cheese and 1 cup of the marinara sauce; set aside.
Unwrap dough and put onto 2 parchment lined baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal. Press out into 2 (12-inch) circles about 1/4-thick; pinch together any holes. Spoon the meat mixture into center of each dough round. Slide the second dough circle off the parchment to top the meat mixture. Crimp the edges together. Gently pat entire surface of pizza until flat. Slide pizza onto hot oiled grill. Cook, covered, for about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Warm the remaining marinara sauce in the microwave. Spoon some sauce on the plate and serve a hot slice of pizza on top.
INDOOR: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly spray baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside. Prepare stuffed pizza as directed. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee