- 4 center cut veal shanks, rinsed, and patted dry
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped turnips
- 1 cup diced celery (2 ribs)
- 2 cups frozen sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (recommended: Muir Glen)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (recommended: McCormick)
Use kitchen twine to tie the veal shanks around the circumference and season with salt and pepper. Dredge them in the flour and shake of any excess.
Heat a large saute pan with the 3 tablespoons of olive oil over high heat. Add the floured shanks and brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove to plate.
Cover and cook on LOW setting for 8 to 10 hours.
Strain and remove the fat from the cooking liquid. Serve as a sauce on the side.