- 3 pita pockets, each cut into 8 wedges
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- One 15-ounce can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons dressing, reserved from Grilled Sausage with Tuscan Beans, recipe follows
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup Tuscan Beans, reserved from Grilled Sausage with Tuscan Beans, recipe follows
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread the pita wedges on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until crispy, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely
In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and lemon zest and mix until smooth. Spread the cream cheese mixture into the bottom of a medium dip bowl.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the red beans, reserved dressing and a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and puree until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, then add a few tablespoons of water to thin. Spread the bean puree over the cream cheese mixture.
Combine the reserved Tuscan Beans with the red onions and spoon on top of the pureed beans. Serve with toasted pita chips on the side.
Grilled Sausage with Tuscan Beans:
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage or one 6-count package
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained and juice reserved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
- One 15-ounce can red beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh basil
Preheat a grill over medium heat.
Place the sausages on the grill and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, turning every 4 to 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, Italian seasoning, reserved juice from the can of tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the dressing for the Round 2 Recipe Three Layer Bean Dip. Add the beans diced tomatoes, basil and toss to coat. Reserve 1 cup of the bean mixture for the Round 2 Recipe Three Layer Bean Dip. Serve the remaining beans with the grilled sausage.