Savory Chocolate Fondue
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks and cooked until slightly tender
- 1 pound Cheddar, cut into cubes
- Special equipment: fondue set
Melt the butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook 1 minute. Add the flour and cocoa powder and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in the broth and wine and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the Worcestershire sauce, chocolate, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper and cook until browned on all side but still medium-rare in the middle, about 6 minutes. Removes to a plate, cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
To serve, pour the sauce into a fondue pot. Arrange the beef, potatoes and cheese onto a platter and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.