Seattle BBQ Beef Ribs
- 1 rack beef back ribs (about 3 pounds total), cut in 1/2
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cups store-bought BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso or 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- Sliced green apple, to garnish
Place ribs in heavy large pot. Add seasoning salt, vegetable broth and apple juice plus enough water to cover ribs and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until meat is tender, about 1 hour. Using tongs, remove rib racks from pot. Cool slightly. Cut between bones into individual ribs. (Can be made to this point 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat grill to medium heat.
In a medium bowl, combine BBQ sauce, vinegar, molasses and coffee. Brush ribs with some of sauce. Grill ribs until brown and thickly glazed, occasionally turning and basting with more sauce, about 10 minutes total. Garnish with green apples.
NOTE: instead of boiling, you could also pre-cook the ribs in the slow cooker on low for 4 hours.
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee, 2008