- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 3 pounds bone-in beef chuck short ribs
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into large chunks
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, stems and leaves separated
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. spicy brown mustard
- 1 (12-ounce) dark stout beer, such as Guinness
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, brown the short ribs, in batches, until they are browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
While the short ribs are browning, place a layer of onion and carrot pieces into the bottom of a slow cooker and season them with salt and pepper. Place the browned meat on top. Add the remaining onions and carrots along with the parsnips and turnips. Tie together the rosemary and thyme with the parsley stems and add them to the pot along with the Worcestershire and mustard. Pour over the stout and add enough water to almost cover the contents. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the meat is very tender.