Smoked Salmon and Olive Blini
- 1 cup buckwheat pancake and waffle mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 6 ounces sliced smoked salmon or lox
- 3/4 cup kalamata olive spread
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- Fresh dill, chopped, for garnish
- Chopped ripe black olives, for garnish
In a medium bowl, combine pancake mix, milk, egg, and oil until just blended. Set aside. Spray griddle with nonstick spray. Heat griddle over medium-low heat. Spoon several 1- tablespoon dollops of batter onto griddle. Cook for 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear around the edges, and then flip each blini over and cook for 1 more minute. Set aside.
Cut salmon or lox into 32 equal-size pieces. Place blini on a platter. Spread each blini with 1 tablespoon olive spread. Top with a piece of smoked salmon and then with 1 teaspoon sour cream. Sprinkle with dill and chopped black olives.
Recipes courtesy Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Cooking, Miramax Books, 2002