- 3 1/2 pounds whole cut-up chicken
- 2 (5-ounce) packets chicken fry coating (recommended: Dixie Fry)
- 2 tablespoons salt-free chicken seasoning, divided (recommended: McCormick Grill Mates)
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 (12-ounce) jars roasted chicken gravy (recommended: Franco American)
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
Cut away excess skin and fat from chicken pieces. Rinse with cold water and set aside; do not pat dry.
In a large straight-sided pan, heat 1/2-inch oil over medium-high heat. Oil is ready for frying when a drop of water splatters when dropped in.
Fry coated chicken until golden brown, about 8 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan and drain oil.
Return chicken to pan over medium heat. Cover with gravy. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 20 minutes or until completely done (no pink near the bone).