- 2 packages (2 pounds) turkey sausages
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small head red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) can beer
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Fuji apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices
Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
Cook the sausage on the outdoor grill or grill pan for about 12 minutes, turning a quarter turn every 3 minutes.
While the sausage is cooking, heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted slightly, about 4 minutes.
Stir in the beer, vinegar, mustard and the brown sugar and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the apples, cover partially with a lid, to allow some steam to escape. Cook the cabbage and apples over medium-low heat until they are tender, about 8 minutes.
Reserve 2 sausages and 1 cup of the apple sauerkraut for online Round 2 Recipe.
Transfer the sausages and sauerkraut to a serving platter and serve.