- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced, reserve a few for garnish
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cups baking mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
In a small bowl combine the strawberries with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the baking mix and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir in the milk and butter, then fold in the chocolate chips. Pat the dough out on a floured surface, cut into 8 triangles, and arrange on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Add the chopped basil to the strawberries and toss to combine.
With an electric hand mixer, whip the cream in a medium bowl, with the remaining sugar and the vanilla. Slice the shortcakes in half. Put the bottom halves of each shortcake on serving plates and spoon some strawberries over each half. Dollop each with whipped cream and cover with the shortcake tops. Garnish with a bit more whipped cream and a strawberry slice before serving.