- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium sweet green pepper, diced
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 canned chipotle chiles, minced
- 2 (14-ounce) cans corn
- 1 cup lowfat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Monterey Jack Quesadillas, recipe follows
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Cook the bacon in a large stockpot over medium heat until it begins to crisp. Spoon off the bacon fat, except for a thin coating. Add the peppers and onion to the bacon and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender.
Add the sweet potatoes, chicken broth, and chipotles and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the corn, milk, and salt; heat through. Serve with quesadillas and garnish with cilantro.
Monterey Jack Quesadillas:
Heat tortillas in a preheated 350 degree F oven until warm. Top each with some shredded Monterey Jack and a few cilantro leaves. Top each with another tortilla. Heat until cheese is melted.
Yield: 4 servings