This a very unusual salad created by Chef Malouf, who earned a coveted three-star rating from The New York Times for Manhattan's beloved Rainbow Room. Before opening Beacon, he also cooked at the Four Seasons, La Cote Basque, the St. Regis Hotel, La Cremaillere (Banksville, New York) and the Hudson River Club.
- 2 bunches fresh watercress, washed, trimmed of thick stems, and roughly chopped to
- yield 2 cups
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated horseradish or 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients, mix well, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Serve on 8 chilled salad plates.