- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced (wear rubber gloves)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 cups cold chicken broth
- 2 Mexican avocados (about 1 pound), pitted, peeled and chopped coarse
- Kosher salt and white pepper
- Garnish: 2 cups chopped, peeled seeded watermelon (optional)
In a blender, blend cilantro and serrano with 1/4 cup orange juice until mixture forms a smooth paste. Add remaining 3/4 cup orange juice, zest, tequila, broth and avocados and blend until smooth. Pour mixture through a coarse sieve into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Chill soup, covered, 2 hours, or until cold.
Serve topped with watermelon.