- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 4 Mexican-style soft rolls (called Telera), split in half (see note)
- Grilled Chicken, recipe follows
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut into 20 thin slices
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into 16 thin slices
- 8 thin slices pepper Jack cheese (about 8 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the mayonnaise and chipotle chiles in a food processor and blend until smooth. Generously spread the cut sides of the rolls with the chipotle mayonnaise. Cover the bottom half of each roll with 1 thinly sliced chicken breast, overlapping the slices. Top each portion of chicken with 5 slices of tomato and 4 slices of avocado. Cover with 2 slices of cheese.
Place assembled sandwiches open faced on a sheet pan and bake until cheese is melted, about 8 minutes. Cover the sandwiches, slice in half and serve immediately.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each)
In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, salt, and paprika. While whisking, drizzle in the oil until incorporated. Add the chicken, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours and up to overnight.
Preheat a stovetop grill pan until hot. Grill the chicken, turning once, until well marked and cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, slice very thin and make the sandwiches.
Note: Telera refers to a Mexican bread similar to a French roll with a scored and flour-dusted crust. It can be found in Mexican markets, where they're used to make sandwiches called tortas.