- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, including liquid
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 basil leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 pound linguini, cooked according to package directions
- Freshly grated Locatelli pecorino Romano
- Serving suggestions: Green salad and crusty bread.
Transfer the tomatoes and liquid to a bowl and gently crush the tomatoes with your hands.
Heat the oil in a saucepan, set over moderate heat until hot. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and liquid, tomato sauce, basil, salt, and red pepper flakes, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta. Drain the pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Add sauce and toss to coat. Top with cheese. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.
Tuna Marinara Sauce: Add 1 can Italian tuna, packed in oil, including oil, after sauce has simmered 10 minutes, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Sausage Marinara Sauce: After onion and garlic have been softened, add 1/2 pound crumbled Italian (sweet or hot) sausage and cook, stirring, until no longer pink. Add tomatoes and continue with recipe as above.