For a special liqueur touch, add a tablespoon of Kahlua, Baileys Irish Cream or other coffee liqueur to the coffee.
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup light cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon rum or cognac
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cups very strong espresso or good quality coffee, cooled
- 16 ladyfingers
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, for dusting
Beat the cheeses, rum and sugar with electric beaters until light and creamy, set aside. Pour the coffee into a large shallow dish. Quickly dip 1 side of half the ladyfingers into the coffee and lay closely together with the dipped side down over the base of a large flat-based serving dish or large cafe au lait cups. Spread half of the cheese mixture evenly over the ladyfingers. Dust with half the cocoa then repeat layers with coffee-dipped biscuits and cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. Dust with remaining cocoa just before serving.