For the brine:
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 36 shell-on medium-large shrimp
- 1 cup ice
For the court bouillon:
- 16 cups water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 1 lemon, halved
- Wasabi Cocktail Sauce, recipe follows
Make the brine: In a large bowl, whisk together the water, salt, and sugar until dissolved. Add the shrimp and ice and let soak for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain.
Add the shrimp to the water and cook until they just turn opaque, about 3 minutes. Drain the shrimp, transfer to a baking sheet, and let cool.
When the shrimp are cool enough to handle, peel and de-vein them and chill in the refrigerator.
When ready to serve, divide the cocktail sauce among 4 martini glasses and hang the shrimp around the rims. Serve immediately.
Wasabi Cocktail Sauce:
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared wasabi or horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Yield: about 1 cup