- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into thirds
- 2 heads endive, washed, base removed, sliced crosswise
- 3 to 4 shallots, minced
- 2 cans anchovies, in oil
- 2 cups water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh savory
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh fennel fronds
- 1 cup pitted black olives, such as Kalamata
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Serving suggestion: Crusty Italian bread and a green salad
In a 12-inch saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until just golden. Reduce heat to medium-low, add the endive and shallots, and cook 2 minutes more. Add anchovies, water, and black pepper, and bring liquid to a simmer; add the savory, dill, fennel, and olives and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
While sauce is simmering, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just al dente, about 10 minutes. Strain pasta, add to sauce in skillet and cook 5 minutes more. Serve with crusty Italian bread and a green salad.