- 2 cups water
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin oil
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas
- Chopped dill, for garnish
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1 bunch arugula salad, tough stems removed
In a 2-quart saucepan bring salted water to a boil and add rice and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until cooked, about 25 minutes. Drain rice in a colander and rinse under cold running water until cool. Drain rice well.
In a saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch beans and carrots for 1 or 2 minutes, drain in a sieve and shock in ice bath. Drain vegetables well.
In a large bowl whisk together lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Add oil in a stream and whisk until emulsified. Add rice, blanched vegetables, celery, bell pepper, scallions, and chickpeas, toss well and adjust seasoning. Add dill and parsley. Serve on bed of arugula.