Sauce Boss Gumbo
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 whole chicken, bones removed, cooked (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 gallon chicken stock
- 2 white onions, diced
- 2 green peppers, seeds and stems removed, diced
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (Bill Wharton's Liquid Summer Hot Sauce is suggested)
- 1 pound smoked sausage, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 pound okra, stems removed and sliced
- 1 pound medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups fresh shucked oysters
- 1 pound cooked crawfish tails
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice, per serving
In a large stockpot on high, heat the olive oil and whisk in the flour. Continuously stir to cook the mixture until it is brown in color. This mixture is called a roux, which acts a thickener in the gumbo.
Add the cooked chicken, chicken stock, onions, and peppers. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
Add the hot sauce, sausage, zucchini, and okra. Continue to simmer on a low heat. When the okra is cooked, turn up the heat and bring the gumbo back to a rolling boil. Add the shrimp, oysters, and crawfish. Let the gumbo boil for 3 minutes to cook the seafood.
When all the seafood is completely cooked, season with salt and pepper. Serve each portion of gumbo over a bed of rice.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.