No need to go out for stuffed crust pizza - it's easy to make your own with string cheese!
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® Pizza Crust Yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water (120°F to 130°F)*
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 sticks (1 ounce each) string cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, browned and drained
- 1 to 2 cups (4 to 8 ounces) shredded mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add very warm water and oil; mix until well blended, about 1 minute.
Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky. Knead** on a floured surface, adding additional flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes.
3. Pat dough with floured hands to fill greased pizza pan or baking sheet. OR roll dough on a floured counter to 12-inch circle; place in greased pizza pan or baking sheet.
4. Pull or cut each stick of string cheese into 2 pieces lengthwise. Lay each piece around the outer edge of the pizza dough. Bring edge of dough over cheese, pressing to encase the cheese in the dough.
5. Spread with pizza sauce. Top with mushrooms and sausage and sprinkle with cheese.
6. Bake on lowest oven rack for 15 to 18 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned.
*If you don't have a thermometer, water should feel very warm to the touch.
**To knead the dough, add just enough flour to the dough and your hands to keep the dough from sticking. Flatten dough and fold it toward you.Using the heels of your hands, push the dough away with a rolling motion. Rotate dough a quarter turn and repeat the "fold, push and turn" steps. Keep kneading dough until it is smooth and elastic. Use a little more flour if dough becomes too sticky, always working the flour into the ball of dough.