Sausage and Peppers
- 1 red onion, minced
- 2 red peppers, roasted and cut 1/2-inch slices
- 2 yellow peppers, roasted and cut 1/2-inch slices
- 1 dried ancho chile
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- 2 pounds sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 28 -ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
Saute onions, peppers and chile in olive oil until onions are brown. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in garlic and basil. Add oregano. Hold aside.
Prick sausage all over with a fork. Saute in skillet over medium heat until brown. Add enough wine to cover about 2/3 of the sausage. Add Sauteed vegetables, tomatoes and any liquid. Simmer gently, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Remove sausage and slice into 1-inch pieces. Can be served on pasta or with bread.
Recipe courtesy of Rocco DiSpirito