- 1 large bunch escarole
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- ¼ cup minced shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- ¾ cup green seedless California grapes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- juice of one small lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
Chop the escarole into large pieces and wash well, discarding the hard core and any browned leaves. Drain. Heat a large, high-sided skillet or wok over high heat. Melt the butter and saute the shallot, garlic and red pepper flakes (if using) until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the bacon and the escarole leaves. Toss and turn quickly as they sizzle and start to wilt, about 2-3 minutes. Add the grapes, salt, pepper and lemon juice and continue to cook until the escarole is just tender and the fruit is warmed through, about 2 minutes more. Turn out on to a platter and serve hot.
Calories 108; Protein 3.7g; Carbohydrate 13 g; Fat 6 g; 44% Calories from Fat; Cholesterol 12 mg; Sodium 397 mg; Potassium 536 mg; Fiber 4.5 g.