- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups 1-inch bread cubes without crusts
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat and saute the bread until golden and crisp. Remove bread and set aside.
Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil and cook the onion, stirring, just until the onion begins to color, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and swirl around with the onion. Season with a little salt. Add the bread and toss all together in the skillet until the bread is warmed through. Remove from the heat, drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and serve.