Sauteed Foie Gras with Apple Julienne
- 2 tablespoons cider reduction (about 2 cups apple cider reduced to a syrupy thickness)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced chicken stock (about 2 cups chicken stock reduced to a syrupy thickness)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorns, in brine (canned)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cut into 1/8 julienne on mandoline
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup frisee lettuce (curly endive-preferably as yellow as possible)
- or mesclun greens
- 4 slices foie gras (NY state duck), about 3 ounces each
- 1/2 cup Wondra flour for dredging foie gras
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil for sauteeing
- Salt and pepper
About 1 hour ahead, combine reduced cider and sherry vinegar with the reduced chicken stock in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat to a low boil and add the butter 1 tablespoon at a time with a whisk. Add salt and the green peppercorns and set aside in a warm place until ready to use.
Cut the apple julienne and toss with the olive oil and lemon juice. Add the salad greens and toss together. Do not do this too far ahead or the salad will wilt. Divide the salad onto 4 plates and set aside while sauteeing foie gras.
You need to cook the foie gras in 2 pans or 2 slices at a time. Heat a medium saute pan over high heat until very hot. Season the foie gras with salt and pepper quite liberally (some of the seasoning will melt away as the foie gras saute). Dredge the foie gras slices in the flour, and put the oil in the saute pan, it will smoke a little, then immediately put 2 slices of foie gras in the pan. Be careful not to splash the oil, or catch the oil on fire. Saute the foie gras until browned on one side, then flip over and cook on the other side until nicely browned. Place immediately onto the salad on each plate, then repeat with the other 2 slices if sauteeing in the same pan. Foie gras is best eaten while hot right out of the pan so its best to saute in 2 pans if possible.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.