Sauteed Octopus with Oregano
- 6 to 7 pound whole octopus, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, stems, seeds, and ribs removed, julienned
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced into 1/2 moons
- 1/4 pound pitted green olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
In a large stockpot, bring water to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add whole octopus, and simmer for 1 hour. Remove octopus from boiling water, and let cool at room temperature for 15 minutes. Cut the tentacles from the head, and discard the head. Chop the tentacles into small pieces. Heat a large saute pan with olive oil over medium heat, add the octopus, green pepper, tomatoes, olives, oregano, and vinegar. Saute for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Vasilios Milios of the Hotel Saint George Lycabettus in Athens, Greece