Sauteed Shrimp with Corn in Spicy Wine Sauce
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined and cleaned with salt, shells reserved
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup sake
- 3 large plum tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or shrimp stock
- 1 teaspoon coarse or kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels, preferably white or frozen, thawed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon peeled, grated gingerroot
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
Combine the shrimp, vodka and egg white in a medium bowl. Mix well and refrigerate for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small saucepan. Add the garlic and cook over high heat until the ingredients release their flavor, about 1 minute. Add the reserved shrimp shells, sake and half the chopped tomatoes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
Add the stock, salt, white pepper and cornstarch mixture, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Strain through a fine sieve; set aside the liquid.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet until hot but not smoking. Add the shrimp and stir-fry until half cooked, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon; set aside.
Add the remaining tomatoes, corn, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and gingerroot to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes. Return the shrimp and the reserved liquid to the skillet. Stir-fry over medium heat until the ingredients are heated through and the shrimp are cooked, about 3 minutes. Add the scallions, toss and serve immediately.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Shrimp with Lemon-Chive Tartar Sauce, Ditalini Salad with Mixed Peppers, Bronzed Shrimp, Scampi with Garlic, Chiles and Mint: Scampi con Aglio, Peperoni e Nepitella, Cornish Hen Recipes, Turkey Breast Recipes, Main Dish, Baked Ham Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Fried Chicken Recipes