- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen corn kernels
- Sour cream, for serving
- Grated cheddar cheese, for serving
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown the ground beef, breaking it up with a fork, until cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes. Season the beef with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a paper towel-lined plate.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the pot. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, oregano and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
Return the beef to the pot. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, 1 1/2 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt. Simmer 30 to 45 minutes. Taste and add more chili powder, if desired.
Ladle the chili into serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese.
Photograph by Andrew McCaul