Scallion and Cayenne Cornbread
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 7 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 3/4 cups fine cornmeal
- In a separate bowl combine:
- 3 beaten eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 bunches of scallions, green part chopped finely
In a large bowl sift the above ingredients together then mix in the followingIn a separate bowl combine:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. With a large rubber spatula, combine the liquid into the dry ingredients with several swift strokes then add the green tops of 2 bunches of finely chopped scallions. Mix just enough to combine all the ingredients. Pour this mixture into a hot 9 by 12 baking pan that has been coated with 3 tablespoons of hot duck fat or bacon drippings. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and set.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.