Scott Elley's Sloppy Joes
- 35 pounds meatloaf mix (equal amounts of ground beef, ground veal and ground pork)
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups Worcestershire Sauce
- 6 large Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 6 yellow peppers, coarsely chopped
- 6 orange peppers, coarsely chopped
- 6 green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 gallon barbeque sauce, homemade or store bought
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 36 sweet Italian pork sausages, casings removed
- 90 -100 fresh hamburger buns or rolls, for serving
Divide the meatloaf mix between 2 large commercial-size pots and brown the meat for 3-5 minutes under a high flame. Drain most of the fat, leaving a little in for seasoning. Add the Worcestershire Sauce and mix well.
Divide the onions and peppers between the 2 pots, add salt and crush 1 tablespoon of the oregano between your hands into each pot. Divide the garlic between the two pots and stir everything together. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1/2 gallon of barbeque sauce to each pot, cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
Heat the olive oil in 2 large frying pans, add the sausages and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes, until no longer pink. Drain any fat from the sausages.
Serve over hamburger buns.
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.