Scott Elley's Sloppy Joes
- 35 pounds meatloaf mix (equal amounts of ground beef, ground veal and ground pork)
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups Worcestershire Sauce
- 6 large Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 6 yellow peppers, coarsely chopped
- 6 orange peppers, coarsely chopped
- 6 green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 gallon barbeque sauce, homemade or store bought
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 36 sweet Italian pork sausages, casings removed
- 90 -100 fresh hamburger buns or rolls, for serving
Divide the meatloaf mix between 2 large commercial-size pots and brown the meat for 3-5 minutes under a high flame. Drain most of the fat, leaving a little in for seasoning. Add the Worcestershire Sauce and mix well.
Divide the onions and peppers between the 2 pots, add salt and crush 1 tablespoon of the oregano between your hands into each pot. Divide the garlic between the two pots and stir everything together. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1/2 gallon of barbeque sauce to each pot, cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
Heat the olive oil in 2 large frying pans, add the sausages and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes, until no longer pink. Drain any fat from the sausages.
Serve over hamburger buns.
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.