- 6 ounces slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, diced (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups clam broth or juice
- 4 white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound shucked clams
- 1/2 pound haddock, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound Maine shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound scallops
- 1/2 pound shucked oysters
- 4 cups half-and-half
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
In a large stockpot over medium heat, cook the bacon until browned. Add the butter and onions, and cook for 10 minutes. Add the flour and stir until well combined. Add 2 to 3 cups broth. Then add the potatoes, thyme, pepper, and salt and bring to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are almost fork tender, about 10 minutes. Add the clams, haddock, shrimp, scallops, and oysters and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the half-and-half and heat through (do not bring to a boil or the chowder will curdle). When finished add parsley and serve.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.