Seafood Cioppino Stew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups canned chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1/2 pound sea scallops
- 1 pound firm white fish, cut into 1-inch pieces (suggested: cod, halibut, striped bass, red snapper)
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 24 small clams in the shell, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- Crusty bread, for serving
In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook about 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft and beginning to brown.
Add the undrained tomatoes, roasted peppers, thyme, oregano and red pepper flakes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Pour in wine and beef stock. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cook partially covered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the clam juice and continue cooking uncovered for 5 minutes.
Stir in scallops, fish pieces and cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and clams. Cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parsley and serve with crusty bread.