- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Scotch bonnet hot sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more, if necessary
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pound fresh codfish, cut in 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 8 cups rice, cooked
- 1 pound crawfish, cooked and cleaned
- 2 (12 1/2-ounce) cans pigeon peas, drained, and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound jumbo (U-15) shrimp, cleaned and deveined
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat a large skillet over high heat. Saute vegetables in the olive oil; first the carrots, then onions, red peppers, garlic, and last, the thyme. Saute until fragrant. Turn the cooked vegetables out onto a dish.
Reheat skillet, adding more oil if necessary. Saute cod until almost done, add to vegetables.
Reheat the skillet. Add the ketchup mixture, and bring to a boil. Add back the vegetables and cod. Stir in the rice, mixing well. Keep moving the rice, like a stir-fry.
After a few minutes, add the crawfish, pigeon peas, and the scallions. Season, to taste. Scatter the shrimp on the top of the rice. Cover the skillet and put it into the oven for about 15 minutes. Cook until shrimp are opaque, and slightly curled.
Recipe courtesy Cheryl Smith