- Olive Relish:
- 2/3 cup green olives, pitted, chopped
- 2/3 cup black olives, pitted, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, skinned, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 4 anchovies, minced
- 4 teaspoons capers, rinsed, drained and minced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound salmon fillet, roughly chopped
- 1 pound bay scallops, well drained
- 1 pound rock shrimp, well drained
- 4 ounces butter, plus 1 cup butter, melted, for brushing phyllo
- 4 ounces flour
- 1 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Pinch saffron
Combine all ingredients in a stainless steel bowl and adjust seasoning. Will hold for 5 days under refrigeration.Strudel:
In a large skillet melt the 4 ounces of butter, turn up the heat to full and quickly sear the fish (in batches so it doesn't leach). Add the flour and allow to cook out for 2 minutes, next add the olives, wine, and 1 cup whipping cream. Bring to a simmer, correct the seasoning and allow to cool.
Lightly brush one sheet of phyllo with some melted butter. Place another sheet on top of the first and also brush that one with melted butter. Cover remaining sheets and set aside.
Cut the 2 layered sheets crosswise into 3 equal strips. Place one rounded tablespoon of filling about 1-inch from the end of each strip. Starting at the edge, bring up the phyllo and roll it over the top of the filling, roll once and then tuck the ends in as you would an eggroll, and continue to roll the strudel until you reach the end of the dough. With end underneath, brush top with melted butter and place on parchment lined sheet pan. Repeat this until you have used all the phyllo.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Combine the 2 cups heavy cream, lemon juice, and saffron in a non-reactive bowl, correct seasoning and allow to stand (this will allow the acid time to acidulate the cream and thus thicken slightly to yield a sauce consistency).
Strudels will hold 5 days under refrigeration, or can be frozen for up to 4 weeks. Acidulated cream will also hold up to 5 days under refrigeration.
Place on a sizzle plate (2 per order) and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until hot inside and golden brown outside. Present crossed, on warm plates with sprigs of fennel fern, drizzled with acidulated cream, and olive relish sprinkled randomly around.
Recipe Courtesy The Restaurant School, Philadelphia, PA