Seafood Stuffed Trout Drizzled with Citrus Butter
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (7-ounce) pouch cornbread mix (recommended: White Sweet Yellow Cornbread Mix)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup seafood stock or broth, divided
- For the citrus butter:
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped celery leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1/2 cup frozen baby shrimp, thawed
- 1/2 cup bay scallops
- 1/2 cup chopped crawfish tails
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning, divided (recommended: Old Bay)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 whole individual serving size cleaned rainbow trout (heads on make a nice presentation)
- 4 cups spring mix or mixed salad greens
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 6 orange slices
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together the cornbread mix, egg and half of the seafood stock until smooth. Spread mixture into prepared pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes. Once cooled, remove from the pans and break into large pieces with fingers.
Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
Meanwhile, make the citrus butter sauce by whisking together orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, orange zest, lemon zest, lime zest, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan over low heat. Bring to a simmer and add butter, continuing to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove sauce from heat, pour into heatproof dish and stir in the cilantro leaves; set aside.
Spray a 12-inch skillet with nonstick cooking spray and saute the celery leaves, red bell pepper and onions for 2 minutes then add in the shrimp, scallops and crawfish. Continue to saute for another 3 minutes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning, white pepper, cilantro and the cornbread. Add remaining seafood stock, a little at a time, mixing well.
Spray another large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Stuff the inside of each trout with the cornbread mix and place into skillet. Place any remaining cornbread mixture around fish in skillet. Sprinkle remaining seafood seasoning on fish; drizzle with a little citrus butter and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
To serve, divide spring mix or mixed greens onto individual dishes and place 1 trout on top of each. Drizzle with the remaining citrus butter, sprinkle with sliced scallions and garnish with orange slices.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Cheryl Perry