Seared Dijon Lamb Loin with Asian 'Ratatouille' Garlic-Mint Tapenade
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup naturally brewed soy sauce
- 3 racks of lamb, off the bone, each loin cut into 4 petit filets
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Asian Ratatouille, recipe follows
- Garlic-Mint Tapenade, recipe follows
- 5 Thai basil leaves, cut into chiffonade, for garnish
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for garnish
- Asian 'Ratatouille':
- Olive oil, to cook
- 1 medium onion, medium dice
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon rinsed and minced fermented black beans
- 2 Japanese eggplants, medium dice (or 1 medium regular eggplant)
- 1 large tomato, medium dice
- 1 medium zucchini, medium dice
- 10 Thai basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and black pepper
- Garlic-Mint Tapenade:
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 10 Nicoise black olives, pitted
- 10 mint leaves, minced (it will turn brown)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch salt
Mix Dijon, wine, oil, garlic, and soy. Marinate the lamb filets for 1 hour.
Coat a large saute pan on high heat with oil. Season the lamb filets with pepper (salt is optional since it has been in the soy marinade) and pan sear both sides until brown, about 6 minutes total.
Let rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
On a large plate, place a small mound of ratatouille in the middle. Surround with 3 filets of lamb, topped with Garlic-Mint Tapenade. Garnish with basil leaves and drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil.
Wine: Big, Bordeaux blend, 2nd growthAsian 'Ratatouille':
In a large saute pan or wok, coat lightly with olive oil and saute the onions, garlic, and fermented beans for 1 minute. Add the eggplant and saute 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer until soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and lemon juice just before serving.Garlic-Mint Tapenade:
In a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic and olives. Add the mint, oil, and salt.
Copyright 2000, Ming Tsai, All Rights Reserved