Seared Five-Spice Duck Breast with Plum Wine Sauce
- 10 ounces boneless duck breast with skin
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 3 scallion heads white part only, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces sesame oil
- 2 cups duck stock or canned chicken stock
- 1 cup plum wine
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
Marinate the duck breast with 5 spice powder, ginger root, scallions, salt, pepper and sesame oil for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Heat skillet on moderately high heat, do not add any oil. Sear duck breast skin side down, brown both sides. Transfer duck to oven proof plate and cook the duck in the oven for 10 minutes for medium rare. Pour off grease form the skillet, add plum wine, add duck stock season with salt and pepper and reduce the sauce to 1 cup. Then incorporate the butter to the sauce and set aside and keep warm. Remove duck from oven let it set for 5 minutes before slicing.
Recipe courtesy of Pete’s Tavern
Recipe courtesy of Alexis Hernandez